View Single Post
Old 06-18-2021, 07:40 PM
chase
XOJET Citation X

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: DO, Baker Aviation, Citation X

Decisions like this don’t come without loads of inputs from many sources. Pilots, Chief Pilot office, VP ops and others. I saw it at SWA, the military and know it happens in any well run operation.

The pilots were professional in their responses to the company in many forms and fashion. To those who are at other carriers looking to get changes made, Lesson 1, don’t get emotional.

Also at play and a huge plus for XO is the support from the XO CPO office and DO office. XO is blessed to have pilot’s pilot occupying both of those positions and that is worth so much in making a cohesive pilot group. That is not a secret among XO pilots but is unknown to those outside...one of the “secret sauces” that make XO a good place to work.

These are individuals who were chosen from XO pilots to fill these key positions.

These vacancies could’ve been filled by outsiders (non-XOers) and would’ve had much greater loyalty to VJ for being put into that position.

To KT’s credit he chose from the XO talent at the time, thereby telling all the XO pilots we have some talented folks here to keep the culture in place.

VJ recognized the appeal of XO was its unique culture among 135 operators.

Knowing that, these key positions were filled by great leaders who support the pilot group and yet have the skill set to mentor, coach, shoot straight and inform their superiors who had the ultimate decision control. KT and the VJ counterparts are to be praised by listening to XO Ops leadership team and being open to arguments against the B scale.

Most leaders say “hey, I’m open to your opinion” but it turns out that isn’t always the case.

Changing an unpopular policy when your team is advising such a decision is filled with obstacles to overcome.

The arguments put forward by the DO/CPO to KT I presume and others were key factors in getting the B scale and other issues resolved. Many of those came from the RT but also from company wide conference calls from pilots and many emails I presume. VJ leadership gets kudos also as they played a part in putting the final pieces of the puzzle together.

Moving forward and removing this “pimple” (B Scale) is great.

Equally fulfilling is the announcement the joining of XOAV and XOCR into a single operations. This was originally speculated about at the time on this forum, questioned by new hires and by all of the pilots in each group. That was nearly 2 yrs ago and some said it wouldn’t happen for many reasons.

It has now come to pass and again that decision was not inevitable (nothing is inevitable in the aviation industry) but makes good business/operational sense which reflects leadership openness to taking advice from seasoned professionals.

That couldn’t have happened without XO leadership making the case before the decision makers. Boardroom decisions are outside the purview of pilots but they obviously impact us all. In this case, those individuals are to be praised for something that makes sense and benefits the operations.

It will take a few more months to put all those pieces in place but the RT will work with Ops leadership and KT to put the final icing on the cake. The RT leadership (outgoing and incoming) deserves some of the praise but XO leadership gets kudos for actually making the change...something they had no contractual obligation to do!

They understood it was good business and that benefits our clients, our employees and our future. It is one of the reasons that separates XO from other 135 carriers.

I realize praising management on a pilot forum is anathema to many forum readers but having seen a few decisions in 22 yrs, this one deserves praise.

Last edited by chase; 06-18-2021 at 07:54 PM.