View Single Post
Old 06-28-2021, 09:31 AM
CFI Guy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2013

Originally Posted by ThatOneAviator View Post
Got a question for you all. I can't tell the future, and I don't expect you to, but maybe we can get some ideas thrown about. I'm going to college right now and hope to secure a good job for 2 years to build funds to start flight training and eliminate the need for any loans (and if needed, very low loan < $7,500). Get ratings, build time CFI'ing, yadda yadda. On my timeline, the earliest I'd be getting to a regional would be around 2028 & 2029 on the liberal side, and 2030 - 2031 on the conservative side. What is the outlook then for hiring? I know this upcoming decade there are supposedly lots of old-timers who are reaching their 65 age limit, but what about 9 - 10 years from now. Will I have a little more trouble getting hired once the hiring boom is over?

As you stated, no one can predict the future. And there's always that disclaimer on my investment portfolio funds that state "past performance does not necessarily predict future results". As you saw with Covid, things can change rapidly in this industry- one minute it's the apocalypse and the next minute airlines are scrambling to buy planes / hire pilots.

What I really like about your plan is you are not going into debt (or very minimal) for this career- that is my two cents of advice I give to everyone. You will also have an education and hopefully some experience in whatever field you are entering (outside of aviation) before you take the plunge into aviation full-time. Maybe you'll have a great job, a family, and will weigh the benefits of entering the industry depending on how it looks at that time. Perhaps instructing on the side and buying your own plane will be enough for you. Either way, you'll have options and the ability to fall back on your education/skills if the time isn't right in ten years.

Your plan sound solid and the rest will work itself out.

Best of luck to you.