View Single Post
Old 06-29-2021, 07:00 AM
Hedley
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2020

Originally Posted by Claxstarr View Post
Ok non-facetious & serious question….
I’m not following your logic.
You’re saying that when NB block increases, then UAX block increases. Yup, got it.
Then you’re saying when 200’s/145’s disappear, the block hours just disappear as well?
With an increase of UAX block hours & a decrease of 50-seat block hours, wouldn’t that create a 2 fold vacuum for 70/76 seat block hours?
In your hypothesized situation, there would be the exact opportunity I’m talking about for an increase in UAX 175 flying with the loss of 200//145’s and an increase in total UANB/UAX block hours.
You said it yourself… an increase in total UAX block.

I think the press release was very carefully worded to leave out the 70/76 seat birds because something is coming.

We’re also hearing this from senior UA captains riding in jumpseats.
Available UAX block hours are set according to a percentage of United NB block hours. Scope caps the number of 70/76 seat aircraft but not 50 seat jets (they are only subject to the total block hour restriction). Prior to COVID the max allowable block hours wasn’t an issue since they didn’t hit the bar with the restricted number of 70/76 seaters and the large number of 50 seaters that were operating. Now, with the removal of the 50 seat jets, their ability to hit the number will be even further restricted. The allowable block hours will increase, but with the single class 50 seater gone/severely reduced, the current 70/76 seat jets can only fly so many hours in a day, and UAX block hours actually flown will go down even though allowable hours increase.

I wouldn’t hold my breath for the relaxation of scope. The rumored additional big rj’s was to come from a NSNB order, not United pilots voting to relax scope.