Thread: Atrial Flutter
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2021, 03:14 PM
AirBear
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017
Position: Retired NJA & AA

Actually that makes sense because our ancestors who hunted had to do a lot of running. If their knees went out there wasn't an Ortho Doc around to fix them.
You would think walking on a treadmill and walking around the neighborhood would use the same muscles but when I switched to the latter over a week ago I could tell the difference. Also there's the heat. Treadmill I'm in an air conditioned room with 2 fans blowing on me with only underwear on. Walking outside I found out that a somewhat overweight man in his 60's with only underwear wasn't a good option

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Current thinking is actually that impact exercise is good for your joints and cartilage, and my experience bears that out... lifelong runner, and all in good shape post age 50 (ie can still run and downhill ski). Also held up to some tactical ground-pounder abuse in the mil, including parachuting.

Running is a natural repetitive motion which we're designed for. Sports like tennis and hoops (to say nothing of football, soccer, skiing) are more likely to injure joints. If your joints are in good shape and aligned right, running will probably help maintain them. Start easy of course, and moderation appropriate to your age.