Thread: Red Eye Tips
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2021, 10:12 PM
303flyboy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012
Position: Happy

Interesting and good discussion. Interesting to see what people do. Also like most of us know at the end of the day you have to find what works for you as we are all slightly different. Me, I try to listen to my body as much as I can. If my body needs 6-8 hours of sleep I will try to give it that. Regardless what side of the clock I am knowing it will take me a while to get back to the “normal “ side of the clock. That’s in general.

Now working a red eye, at home I try to keep myself up the night prior really late. Not an issue night owl anyway. Go to bed around 4/5 am. Wake up at noon or 1 pm I can easily fly the first leg out land at whatever ungodly time and and still feel fine. By the time I get to the hotel I slowly start getting tired. Good timing. Now if it is one of those nasty 12-14 hour layover deals it kinna does stink. You fall asleep wake up 6/8 hours later and (for me at least ) its hard to take a nap a few hours after you wake up with a few hours to go till show time. So again i just try to keep myself up when I get to the hotel (sometimes doesn’t work just too tired) and sleep from 6/8 am till 2pm and then I’m fine again for the leg back.

Ps. Yes, melatonin seems to work but like several said it helps ish the first 3/4 hours. If you don’t fall asleep in that period you are kinna screwed.

Pps. Don’t take the none natural melatonin gives you some weird ass dreams ! (Not the good ones)

Also I haven’t really heard anyone talking about this but maybe consider this. Of course assuming both fit for duty but I have before and will in the future ask my partner how they slept. If it turns out they slept much better than you and you are legal but feeling so so give that leg to your partner if they want it. Or vice versa. We’re so programmed to “who’s turn is it..”. I say who cares. Whoever feels most rested.

Oh and I can’t stretch this enough. Water water water. Some coffee and water water water. Don’t take any of that nasty sugar crap before TOD. It won’t give you wings (you should have those by now anyway ) but it will make your heart race and add nasty **** to your system. And I find I land better a little tired and drinking water than hyper on Red Bull or whatever other crap some drink.

Also steer clear of alcohol day prior. Keep it for home or a good long normal layover on a normal 4-day at dinner.

Last ps ;
Originally Posted by Forgotmywallet View Post
Great book that has several paragraphs on airline pilots. Discusses melatonin as well.
One of the best books on sleep I’ve read. Author is a professor of neuroscience at Berkeley. I did weekly redeyes for B6 for four straight years.
https://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Sleep-.../dp/1501144324
This is a great read !

Last edited by 303flyboy; 06-30-2021 at 10:41 PM.