Old 07-04-2021, 02:56 PM
galaxy flyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Everybody on a big 121 field normally gets their jet A from the co-op. That normally includes the high end FBOs. You'd have to go to a lot of trouble to arrange outside jet A, and it would probably cost more due to not having storage facilities on site, plus the access fees.

That's how big airports generally work, no law says HNL has to do it they way but why would they not?

If they didn't launch from a major 121 field, sure it might be plausible... but there's a reason that kind of thing doesn't happen to pax airlines.
I take your point and I’m sure the Jet A is distributed exactly that way at PHNL. But, if truck refueled instead of hydrant, the truck at an FBO or other service provider very likely has a Prist tank for small jets/turboprops requiring it. It only takes a small error in the dark perhaps, of putting DEF into the Prist tank or selecting Prist by a late night, tired refueled who defaults out of repetition to selecting Prist on uplift. I’ve seen it down even when specifying “no Prist”.

Is it long shot? Of course, but dual engine failures usually are fuel related even in old 732s. I have a hard believing both engines just quit right after take-off in a well-used jet. Wasn’t ice in the fuel, for sure. The PF might have firewalled the good one, but JT-8s are pretty tough and won’t die in a minute or two of abuse.