View Single Post
Old 07-08-2021, 09:40 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by ipdanno View Post
I know the AF Reserves (and ANG) will send someone to Undergraduate Pilot Training, and maybe the Army reserves, but I don’t think the Navy, Marine or CG reserves will send anyone to UPT. I’m not sure. I believe they get their aviators from separating active duty folks.
Correct. The Navy (and presumably the USMC) did hire OTS reserve aviators and train them decades ago, but no longer. To get a flying job in the sea service reserves you need to already have mil wings. It would be hypothetically possible to get trained by ANG/USAFR and then later transfer to a sea service reserve flying gig without having done regular active duty. But for the most part if you want to stay TR and avoid a ten-year AD obligation, ASNG/USAFR are the only options.

Originally Posted by ipdanno View Post
If one were to join the ANG or AFRes, one could expect about two-three years of fully active service, 1 1/2 of that at UPT+, the next year+ at your unit doing training and seasoning. Then revert to Traditional status and return to your regular (or new) job.

If your long term goal is to end up in the airline world, and you think you could make it through the military system, I think the ANG or AFRes could be a great way to start and accelerate your progress.
Yes. Best kept "secret" in aviation.