View Single Post
Old 08-23-2005, 06:03 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Research

You guys should look up how many commercial pilots are made every year. I think the number is around 20 thousand then add all the new military pilots that are created every year, Somewhere around 11 thousand. Then search Airinc for the number of truely "New" jobs out there. They like to twist the numbers claiming that thousands of pilots were hired in a given year, but those numbers are false. They don't take into consideration jobs lost or the fact that there is a chain of pilots that move up with every hire at a major. The real numbers are quite low. I'll bet fewer than 2000 on average. Therefore, for every new commercial pilot who gets hired at a regional about 9 others give up somewhere along the way after getting all the ratings.
The regionals are growing right now, by the time you are ready they probably will be full and becoming stagnant. Plan for the worst, but hope for the best.
You could easily end up alone, in a strange city and totally broke at 55. I have seen it happen many times. Some dreams are best kept as dreams.

SkyHigh