View Single Post
Old 08-16-2021, 11:37 AM
MD11Simnerd
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: MD-11 Guru

Originally Posted by Night_Hawk View Post
They did have the DC-8 and 727 then, so that would have contributed to the larger amount of training available.
I believe in 2006 there were 400+ new hires also
Understand, but the total number of sims available now is much greater. 767 where the 72 sim sat, one of the A-300 sims where the DC8 sat, a second A-300 sim, 74 (s) IN ANC (second 74 sim soon), 3or 4 sims in across from the GOC in the new building, MIA recurrent in MIA for some crews and 74 sim available in MIA too if they book it. I remember the training in 2006, I was teaching in the MD sim from midnight to 4 am consistently.

Last summer, I was literally the only crewmember going through MD initial, literally. I watched the 747 sim in the GAT sit for hours unused while the B&G said the schoolhouse was over run. This problem is UPS's direct decision to not utilize the hard assets and under-staff the airline and instructor/IOE IPA staff. They have volunteers they refuse to train even to this day because of "xxx".

This is a solvable problem, and UPS has tackled it in the past, I have seen it. Some of the sim times might not be the greatest, but it can be done if they want to.