Old 10-21-2021, 08:16 PM
paulcg77
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2013
Position: A shack in Kailua

Originally Posted by Excargodog View Post
Which is sort of typical if you look at the age group demographics of COVID mortality. There are - unfortunately - a fair number of (mostly) elderly people who because of medical conditions are at risk for ANYTHING that comes along. Even a simple cold is going to destabilize their condition. And as I said on my not-altogether-clear initial comment on this thread, even appropriately treated the median survival of an 80+ year old diagnosed with multiple myeloma is only 21.4 months. General Powell was diagnosed in 2019 and we are now about two years past that. Maybe COVID gave him the final push, but at this point it wouldn’t have taken much.
Fair enough. Not to be morbid, but factually, anyone who is 84 is lucky to be alive in general. The US life expectancy is now at 77.3 years, and for black men, it's 71.8 years. (source: https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-...dc-2021-07-21/). I hope I live until 84 but the odds are strongly against it. As my 85 year old grandmother says, "after 80, you're living on borrowed time"...