View Single Post
Old 11-14-2021, 11:44 AM
Av8tr1
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2014
Position: And hold

Originally Posted by TransWorld View Post
Of course there have been pilots furloughed at various times over any decade. But they are not a “lost decade” across the board for the entire industry. Pan Am furloughed all their employees in 1991. Braniff furloughed all their employees in 1982. Even last year Compass and Trans States regional furloughed all their employees. But they were not across the board, industry wide massive furloughs that lasted for 10 years.
I don't think we are all saying it will be an actual decade. I think the point is more that the music is going to stop for a while. Hiring is going to slow down because the economy is going to get even worse than it already is which is going to drive down passenger loads. Will that be a decade, I doubt it but it will be a while. At least until we see a regime change to an administration that is more pro business. That could be at least 3 years. I expect the bottom will drop out 1st quarter next year. I think ridership is going to be down over the holidays especially with news of a new variant running around.