View Single Post
Old 11-24-2021, 12:27 PM
Atrasaty
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2016

Originally Posted by jrmyl View Post
I have done both. I was at NJA back in 08-10 when I was part of the furlough. I am now at Atlas after spending 10 years over seas.

In my view, the biggest difference is the schedules. Atlas schedules allow for more time on overnights, but you fly really long flights if you are on the 777/747. NJA, shorter flights but from what I hear now, the overnights are minimum rest for most of the time.

Upgrades. If I was at NJA I would still be an FO with over 13 years of service. At Atlas, I am looking at around 5 years for upgrade if I stay here.

Work day. At NJA you work your butt off to get the plane ready to go. Stocking the catering, ice, papers, cleaning, etc. etc. Atlas, show up, preflight and get ready to go.

Company. Both have had a tenacious labor/management relationship. I feel that NJA is probably in a better spot now than Atlas. However, I"m not there so can't be for sure on NJA. The office people I have interacted with at Atlas have all been really nice. I didn't have that feeling at NJA when I was there.

Airplanes. Atlas has some old planes, and they break. Sometimes a lot. At NJA you would have a broken plane but it would normally get fixed quicker.

Clients. Never had any problems with any owners at NJA. All were nice and cordial. But at Atlas, 99% of your flying is boxes. Boxes don't complain and don't care about turbulence.

Pay. First year at Atlas is now 64 hour guarantee at $117/hr. Not too bad. NJA is around 60-80,000 depending on what schedule you are on.

As far as where you should go, that is something that only you can decide. Me personally, I'm glad I'm not at NJA any longer. I like flying Boeings and boxes.

Tenaciously contentious. Good review though.