View Single Post
Old 01-07-2022, 12:05 PM
paulcg77
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2013
Position: A shack in Kailua

Originally Posted by DougForcett View Post
Hello all!

There's a high likelihood that I'll be out of active duty this summer, at about 10 years of service. Has anyone here transitioned to the civilian side without joining the Guard/Reserve? I would prefer to not work 2 jobs for the next decade, but would appreciate any insight on that path. Our main family concern is healthcare. I know we'd be able to afford HC-related costs while I'm flying, but what about after retirement? Is Medicare the only option?

Thanks!
Usually you have the option to elect to keep whatever major HC provider you have in tandem with Medicare A/B at age 65. For example, my parents have Kaiser Permanente Advantage, which kicked in at 65 in tandem with Medicare (https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org...care-advantage). It acts as a relatively low cost supplement to Medicare A/B and allows you to continue to stay within the network/system of that HC provider.

I believe Tricare has something similar starting at age 65 called Tricare For Life. Have you considered a non-flying reserve job that would require less of a commitment? I only ask because Tricare Reserve Select is still one of the best deals out there (along with the optional dental coverage add-on most reservists get), especially if you have a family. I speak from experience. I've done a few shore tours as a reservist to have some consistency for my family and it really has only been 2 days of IDT drills per month and 2 weeks of ADOS in the summer, super easy. Best tour I did was with a reserve coastal riverine squadron; just showed up once a month, drove some boats for the weekend, drinks each night with the wardroom in town, and 2 weeks per summer of the same thing. These units do deploy but they usually only take 2-3 of their operational companies and every swinging dick wants to go, especially the SWO's and the sea chickens who have never slept in a tent in the desert, so it's very easy to elect to stay at home while they go to Djibouti or Bahrain. It was an awesome tour. If you're AF, I'm sure they have some great shore tours too.

Also very convenient if you do some day get furloughed to have the option to go on Title 10/long term ADOS to pay the bills, and for someone like you who has already put in 10 years, you're half way to a reserve pension that is a very nice nest egg.