View Single Post
Old 03-07-2008, 08:28 AM
Bond
Gets Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: On Top

Originally Posted by LuvJockey View Post
I'm sure some are happy to see a negative article on SWA, because most probably believe that a black eye for SWA will help their own company. Here's some food for thought, though -

This inspection error was discovered and disclosed by SWA last March, and was resolved within days. Rumor so far here is that SWA asked the FAA for permission to fly the aircraft for the approx 7 days until all aircraft could be inspected, and the FAA agreed. The issue that the Senate hearing is now going to be FAA oversight of airlines (specifically SWA in this case) and if the FAA has been effective, as well as if SWA has gotten some type of preferential treatment at the expense of the safety of passengers. The FAA had considered the matter settled, but yesterday announced a proposed fine of 3 million, soon followed by a proposed fine of 10 million to show that they're not being too easy on SWA.

The question is, how can they tell if SWA has been given preferential treatment if they don't bring up the behind-the-doors actions against other airlines and make them public? Sure, there could be a congressional hearing, but I wouldn't be wishing for one no matter who I worked for. Nothing like politicians in the media spotlight to try to scare the crap out of the public, but don't expect that spotlight to be solely on your competitor. In the mean time, go ahead and enjoy the stumble of a competitor.

Let me first say that I am a huge fan of SWA. I love the business plan, the product, the way they treat their employees. That being said, I'm affraid that pointing the finger at other airlines is not going to cut it.

SWA screwed up! Plain and simple. There's no evidence (at this time) that anyone else benefited from the extensions other than SWA. They knew what they were doing.

I can assure you 99% of the folks here (myself included) wish SWA folks nothing but the best, but you can't honestly come on here and disregard the fact that SWA flew some of their aircraft illegally and unsafely.