Old 01-31-2022, 02:00 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by paulcg77 View Post
Yeah, I agree, and I didn't say anywhere that an O4 had any chance at all of either a lateral transfer or a RW to FW transition within branch. I said O3 earlier because I saw it happen with an O3 going RW to FW (in branch) but he was relatively junior and had about a year TIG and about 5 years total commissioned time when he went back to transition.
That kind of thing is more likely possible on AD, for several reasons, one of which is being early in career progression. Most reserve/guard people are at least senior O3 or O4, that's what I was referring to.

Originally Posted by paulcg77 View Post
About your other point, I don't know about USAF RW training but I think Army RW bros do almost everything on helos in flight school and don't get FW turbine time in primary like we all do regardless of pipeline, so I assume they'd basically be re-starting. With that said, I think if they're a rated RW aviator already, they'll have a huge leg up in UPT and they'll be a more competitive candidate than off the street civilians with a PPL or less because they've already demonstrated they can successfully get through the abbreviated firehose nature of a highly structured/disciplined military flight school.
Like sea services, USAF does FW UPT first then tracks RW. I heard they're actually experimenting with the Army model (at Rucker even), but for purposes of this discussion today they all have FW UPT.

I agree that a RW mil aviator would make a great guard baby candidate, if it's not in the cards to skip UPT.