View Single Post
Old 02-07-2022, 02:41 PM
Alpine Pilot
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2021
Position: B1900 Captain

Recently we got a raise and changed our pay structure to remove the bonus system, so here's a new explanation of how we get paid.

Previously we had our base pay paid every 2 weeks, then a bonus that was paid quarterly, and then our daily per-diem.

Now we just have our base pay and the daily per-diem.

First, they took the original bonus and absorbed it into into the base pay table. Then they increased the new base pay table by an additional $5k a year for the brand new pilots in the 99 or 1900, and another $5k on top of that for the pilots at 2 years of service that are qualified in the 1900. I know that when I applied for a home loan last year it was a little problematic explaining the bonus structure to the bank, so this will probably help simplify situations like that.

Below is our new pay table. We are still paid every 2 weeks for 26 pay periods per year. Our base pay guarantee is 5 days a week (10 per pay period), and that's what gets you the annual base pay shown in the chart. Each week you get scheduled to work less than 5 days, you still get paid for 5. If you simply got scheduled for 3 days and a reserve, you still get paid the day rate for 5 days.

A few ways to earn additional pay include:

1) If you break guarantee and work 6 days a week, you get paid an extra day based on your day rate from the pay table.

2) The day rate is based on one complete trip from the home station and back. If I fly (SLC - JAC - SLC) that's a single day rate trip. If I fly (SLC - PUC - VEL - SLC) there was an extra leg, but it's still a single trip. If Fedex has tons of cargo and they want me to do the Jackson trip twice in a single day, so I fly (SLC - JAC - SLC) and then quick turn to do (SLC - JAC - SLC) again, I'll get an additional day of pay. This doesn't happen very often in SLC right now, but there's a couple postal routes in BIL and FSD that involve 2 full trips per night, so they can pay double if you fly both trips.

3) Per-diem isn't included in the pay table. Every day you spend at the outstation Alpine reimburses you $35, or $55 if you spend 24 hours TDY at another base flying or attending training. On most of our routes we fly to an outstation in the morning, spend the day at an apartment with a crew car, and then fly home in the evening. These trips pay the $35 per day for per-diem. If you average 4 days a week on a route, you'll see about $7k a year in per-diem.

4) Join the training department and/or become a check airman. Your base pay increases, and you're paid an additional hourly rate for any instruction given if you become an instructor. Check airman also earn additional pay for any check rides and line checks given. This January was my 3 year anniversary at Alpine and for the past year I've worked in the training department as a 1900 instructor. I've really enjoyed it and the extra pay is nice if you don't mind the extra time away from home. I commute between Denver, where the simulator center is at, and SLC where I live and fly the line. Teaching a recurrent 1900 class takes me away from home for 5-6 days, teaching a full initial type class takes me away for about 13-14 days. However, just know that hiring for the training department is internal and requires that you fly the line a bit first.

So there's the update, let me know if you have any questions.
Attached Images