View Single Post
Old 03-09-2008, 07:47 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Not over yet

Originally Posted by WIFlyer View Post
I used to work in a large corporation doing boring IT work. It paid great, I had time off up the wahzoo and the benefits were top notch. Every Friday I would run for the door and every Sunday evening I would get that sick feeling in my stomach that I had to go back to work the following day. I started flying for fun/adventure/challenge/whatever, moved on to flight instructing part time. I realized there that flying was my passion and took a huge paycut to become an instructor. My overall life happiness increased dramatically and I was lucky enough to time it perfectly to get into this latest boom of hiring for the regionals.

So, here I am sitting right seat for a regional 5 years after I started this 'hobby' and I am reminded of what an old co-worker told me. He said that, in his view, retirement wasn't just playing golf. It was finally having the financial security to get the job you have wanted your whole life but couldn't due to money or time or some other reason. So, when I left my corporate job, he told me "congratulations on your retirement!". That has stuck with me. Do I love every aspect of this job: no way. However, it is still the greatest job for me and I feel lucky that I found my passion and turned it into a career.
Your story isn't over yet. In fact you have just begun. In time you will most likely find yourself back at your IT job.

I don't know if you are married or not but most people work jobs that are less than satisfying because they have something they value more at home.

SkyHigh