Old 05-09-2022, 10:57 AM
Jhsouders
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2013

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
With mil wings you're not going to need flow, unless maybe you had some really bad adverse event and thrown out of the mil early. You probably don't even need flow for a DUI right now, if it was in the distant past.
Can you please elaborate on this? If I go to a regional that flows to X major airline and they advertise a 4 year flow. Can I apply and be hired by X major airline after 12-18 months and 1000 SIC time and get hired on without flow? I assume there would be some sort of flow agreement that I would have to abide by to get to X airline or I would have to apply somewhere else.

Legally both are the same: Unrestricted ATP + 1000 hours 121 SIC. Certain 135 PIC time can count, and certain mil time can also count for partial credit, but I'm not sure where the plopter fits into that, look at 121.436. IIRC plopter is not an "airplane".

For regionals right now, you should be able to upgrade as soon as you meet the regulatory mins, although it might or might not be in your preferred base.
So your saying once I get the 1000 SIC I could potentially go either route, upgrade to Captain at the Regional or get hired on at a Major as a FO?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I have been hearing lately that V-22 time is more or less looked as airplane time.

For majors, it totally depends on growth/retirements... for the big three it's going to be very quick, ie as low as one year. Maybe even less if the airline allows probationary pilots to upgrade... UAL does not, but DAL does IIRC. ULCC's probably 3-5 years? AS and SW probably ten+ years.
It takes 10+ years to get Captain at Alaska and SW!?