Old 05-09-2022, 03:32 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Jhsouders View Post
Can you please elaborate on this? If I go to a regional that flows to X major airline and they advertise a 4 year flow. Can I apply and be hired by X major airline after 12-18 months and 1000 SIC time and get hired on without flow? I assume there would be some sort of flow agreement that I would have to abide by to get to X airline or I would have to apply somewhere else.
Flow programs exist to keep regionals manned, so some of them do not allow you to apply "around" the flow. Details vary by program, so you'd have to research them in detail. Generally there will be strings attached.

They don't really "advertise" a specific time to flow, that can vary with market conditions and hiring. Flows are typically entitled to X% of available new hire slots, up to a certain cap (to keep the regional from all flowing at once). Typically it would be something like two years/2000 hours as PIC, then by seniority order amongst those eligible to flow. Again need to do research.

Originally Posted by fasteddie800 View Post
So your saying once I get the 1000 SIC I could potentially go either route, upgrade to Captain at the Regional or get hired on at a Major as a FO?

You do not need the 1000 121 to get hired at a major. Technically & legally the regulatory mins are the same for all 121, regional or major.

In reality you need an unrestricted ATP to be competitive for top-tier majors, and most LCC. TPIC is best for top-tier, but people get hired without it.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I have been hearing lately that V-22 time is more or less looked as airplane time.

More or less, for airline *competitive* purposes.

For FAA legal regulatory purposes it is not an "airplane" as far as I know, pretty sure it's a Powered Lift aircraft. 121.436 specifies "airplane" time. Different regulatory categories, read the FARs literally... when they say airplane, they mean Airplane.

It takes 10+ years to get Captain at Alaska and SW!?

AS will probably be there by the time you're in the running, SW already is. They don't have the old-guy bubble, their hiring and growth followed a different trajectory, so lots of younger people on the list
, especially SWA.