View Single Post
Old 05-10-2022, 01:20 PM
TaylorPilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2017

Originally Posted by Elevation View Post
Today we are making about 2 new ATPs for every retiring airline pilot. Emerald Coast still has plenty of people paying to get a leg up in competitive interviews. Job fairs are still being attended by pilots trying to get some edge to gain consideration for their jobs. Companies are still getting people to pay money just to sit in the right seat of single pilot airplanes on freight flights.

There are qualified pilots out there. A particular job just has to be appealing enough to recruit and retain those pilots.

The 1500hr rule along with Pt.117 came about to increase safety of the flying public. We are measurably safer as a result. At my company, where corners were cut and processes evaded, we crashed a 767.

Standards get cut at our own peril. Say what people may about quality of training, ultimately what's being proposed is a reduction in standards.
I would love to see the metric you used to conclude that we are safer due to the 1500 hour rule. I just don't see what else a cfi learns making their 5000th leg around the same pattern in the same airplane at the same airport that they didn't learn on the 4999th. It could be argued that a 2000 hour pilot with 1250 SIC time is much safer than a 2000 hour pilot with 500 SIC. I do agree though...500 is too little and 1500 is much. More than 400-600 dual given in a 172 is just going thru the motions...