View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008, 04:28 PM
uvmflier
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Default ANG UPT Panel Interview

Hi everyone

I was just looking to hear your perspective on the UPT panel interview for a ANG slot. (in my case a C-130 unit). My first interview went real well although I was really nervous. The LTC and Major told me that they had a long standing canidate and just one UPT slot and they just couldn't pass this individual up. They strongly encouraged me to try again next round and said I interviewed real well.

One of the most striking things I found about the UPT interview was that they honestly don't care about civilian ratings or how many hours you have. I felt as if they were trying to get more of a read on my character & values.

Not sure if anyone didn't get in first round and got in on their second panel? One of the most important questions during the interview was asking how I've prepared myself to handle the rigorous training in UPT. I mentioned that I've been studying the FAR/AIM, Private PIlot Fudamentals by Jepp, and memorizing performance data sheets on the Tweet. (I found out recently the tweet is being phased out) I'm not too sure what they thought of that answer.

It's been hard for me to try and think of things to strengthen my profile so I've done few things that I think might help:

I took up running & lost a ton of weight and am now well within USAF standards.
I'm doing some volunteering.
I'm applying for a Masters degree primarily in hopes of showing the board that I can handle academics and also for something to do as my civilian job.
I think I might redo the AFOQT and try and get a higher score. My original was just mediocre.

Would be happy to hear anyones thoughts, suggestions, and or story about their journey from civilian to UPT.

uvmflier