View Single Post
Old 06-29-2022, 08:04 AM
Meme In Command
Leaves Biscoff crumbs

Joined APC: Jan 2020
Position: Blue Juice Taste Tester

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Kind of depends on supply vs. demand and how many guard baby slots they have.

On one hand, everybody wants to do the airlines now, but OTH everybody just got a stark refresher on the old lesson that you should stay in the guard/reserve until retirement in case the airlines tank. You can do both, and most people do.

Age is working against you, so as otterbox said you need to rush with a vengeance... they need to like you, and you also need to convey that you're philosophically open to learning new tricks.

If you really want to do it, also look at USAFR. You can apply for UPT without affiliation to a specific unit, and get your aircraft and unit later. That might involve a commute obviously... you don't want to commute to both mil and airline, live in base for at least one of them.
Yeah, knowing I have to be in UPT before 33 is definitely cutting it tight. I'm hoping having already been a CO means I can skip OTS and jump straight into flight training. Unfortunately, I am very limited to this Squadron since I have been living in base and commuting to my Army unit and it has been a royal pain in my behind for 9 years. I'm only willing to try this since I'll be driving distance to both jobs if I live halfway between them.