View Single Post
Old 06-29-2022, 09:13 AM
tnkrdrvr
Occasional box hauler

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by Meme In Command View Post
Yeah, knowing I have to be in UPT before 33 is definitely cutting it tight. I'm hoping having already been a CO means I can skip OTS and jump straight into flight training. Unfortunately, I am very limited to this Squadron since I have been living in base and commuting to my Army unit and it has been a royal pain in my behind for 9 years. I'm only willing to try this since I'll be driving distance to both jobs if I live halfway between them.
You already have time in service as an officer, so OTS definitely won’t be a factor.

The issues they will be looking at are: Do they personally mesh well with you, (Turnover is very slow in a Guard unit, if they hire a dick they have to live with that mistake for a long time.), your flight experience means you will likely do very well initially in UPT. However, it doesn’t necessarily translate to success in the program. You have to be willing to humbly learn things the AF way and more importantly convince this unit of that. Finally, how many years of commissioned service do you have? If you are applying as a senior captain or junior major, they may struggle to fit you into a UPT slot that typically goes to a 2lt.

My guess is that you should be very competitive at a UPT board on numbers alone. However, too much time in service or a perception that you will be resistant to training could hurt you. No guts no glory.! You won’t be hired if you don’t apply.