View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008, 09:37 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Exclamation

Originally Posted by jpoindex View Post
I am 46, have established family with debt , BS/MS and seriously looking at changing my career after 23 yrs in the IT industry. Currently have PPL and slowly working on my IFR due to lack of funds and of course family finances and kids are more important now. I do have a second job which is paying off/down some bills and hopefully will pay for finishing my instrument, then CPL, MEI and maybe CFI.

I like the idea of working Part 135 part-time /or instructing.
At your age, you really need to be financially set to pursue aviation...ie military/police retirement in place, 401k fully stocked ($500K+), highly-paid spouse (and highly loyal). If you still have bills to pay, I'd be very wary...

Most people don't find typical 135 to be a good career destination, although there are a few sweet deals in almost any segment of aviation.

You might consider getting the ratings, and then working as a part-time CFI. You can build some time and get to know people at your local field(s) and maybe eventually work as a back-up corporate pilot. Most private owners will hire one or maybe two full-time pilots, and then draw from the pool of part-timers when needed. You may need to buy a citation type rating to break into it. You might eventually get invited to go full-time at a one of those sweet deals.