Old 08-08-2022, 09:24 AM
atpcliff
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Capt

Originally Posted by CRJJ View Post
Junior base is ANC yes, and reserve is at a hotel, with a few exceptions. Then we have SCDY lines which is a different story, but to answer your question, ANC is the junior base and reserve is wherever that reserve line says, in a hotel, of course paid by the company.
What will often happen on reserve, is that before you even start reserve, all your reserve days fill up with flying, and you never actually sit in reserve, in a hotel.
Here is another example: I was based JFK, assigned R2 (hotel reserve), in CVG. I called Sched, told them I would prefer to do R2 ANYWHERE on the planet, other than CVG. They said, how about LAX? Great! Got airlined from GRB to LAX, on my first day of work (instead of having to commute into JFK early, to start R2 there). As soon as I got off the plane in LAX, found out I was Operating to HNL the next day, 4 days in HNL, Operate to SYD, 4 days in SYD, then, for Qantas, Operate somewhere to Asia, and then keep going. I never actually was in a hotel on R2 at all that pattern.
Another: I am assigned 7 days of R2 in base. I ask for 5 days of R1 (home reserve-NO pay!), then two days of R2. Approved. I am assigned 5 days of R1. I ask for R2 (hotel reserve), so I can get paid instead. They changed it to R2 somewhere, instead of the R1.