Old 08-26-2022, 09:40 PM
JamesNoBrakes
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

Originally Posted by HazyIPA View Post
What's the latest on whether or not a V-22 pilot actually needs 250 PIC of an airplane (i.e., NOT a tiltrotor) to either get the R-ATP or be hired at a regional airline?

I'm at the point where I'm calculating my hours and how much I can realistically expect to fly over the next year or so, and I may only just barely hit 750 before I EAS. This is assuming the worst in that the monitor does not cut me orders for a second flying tour of any kind, which is becoming more common these days (MV-22 community is not at all undermanned at the company grade level like it used to be).

I figure more flight time (even if it's just renting single-engine Cessnas/Pipers) can only help, but for the amount (120-ish) I would actually need to hit 250 PIC of airplane time we're talking a very non-trivial amount of money.
I'm seeing in 14 CFR part 1 that a tiltrotor is classified as "Powered Lift", which would be the category rating (airplane, rotorcraft, glider, etc.).

The ATP rules in Part 61 for airplane category (61.159) include: 1500 hours of time is not category specific, 500 hours of XC time is not category specific, etc. When you get down to the 250 PIC time, it specifies in an airplane (for an airplane category rating ATP).

Under the restricted cert, it says that except for the total reduced hours and 200 XC, you have to still meet all the other requirements of 61.159, which would include the 250 PIC in category.

61.163 is the aeronautical experience requirements to get an ATP in "powered lift", where the 250 hours of V-22 PIC time could apply towards the 250 PIC requirement.

If anyone sees it differently, fill in.