Thread: Crew Food/Rest
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2022, 01:39 AM
jtf560
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

Originally Posted by ExecJet99 View Post
That’s correct. From the union president himself. (In the IBI 23’post) He has a young family and doesn’t want to have to start over at the bottom of someone’s seniority list if something goes wrong. I was under the impression that a union president shouldn’t put his personal wants in front of the membership.
BTW. There’s never been a better time to make this happen. The company wants to wait till we are in a recession and then negotiate.
I think that the union president should want to stay at the company that he works for. His post did say that he is young enough to start over somewhere else without harming his household very much. He also said that he will follow the desires of the group- as in what the majority ask for via surveys and how the last survey (from March) showed that 69% of the membership wants to keep a non aggressive working relationship with management. There is a survey going on right now so now is the time to let the union leadership know that you want a more aggressive stance and maybe if you get enough pilots riled up, that is what the majority will request. Pedro fully knows how to take the aggressive path if the majority asks for it, but until the majority and not just those that post a lot, tell him to go to war, he won't be leading that way.

I am requesting a more aggressive stance, but I don't think we should take it to 2015 levels yet. Until management truly believes there is a problem recruiting and retaining enough pilots (and convinces the Bershire board that actually controls the purse strings to open them), it will be a much harder fight to move the compensation to adequate levels. The company has already lowered the mins twice in the last year or so to attract new hires and attrition is most definitely starting to creep up, especially from those who were hired recently. That is our true leverage and the best leverage we will have. I personally believe that the union cranking things up like 2015 before the hiring and attrition have truly ripened will not achieve results that we will be happy with. There is a risk that we go into a bad enough recession that the spigot to the airlines and good cargo will slow down enough for the company to keep their head above water with enough crews, but I'm willing to take that risk to go for big gains and I'll support union leadership as long as they are following the will of the majority.