View Single Post
Old 10-20-2022, 02:42 PM
CShadow
New Hire

Joined APC: Jun 2018

As others said, it CAN be done!!! But it will/can take a while. I went through the 'Super NFO' program 93-95 and flew in Prowlers until late 99. I then did and instructor tour in P'Cola at VT-10 and got talked into joining the Guard from all of the 'joint' tour AF guys we had on the premises. I was lucky enough to get an inter-service transfer and got picked up for a UPT class at the end of my active duty commitment to the active duty Navy. Fortunately I had already gotten my PPL prior to going to UPT, and also had a fair amount of 'stick' time as a student and later as an FCF NFO in the backseat of the T-34 Turbo Weenie, so UPT wasn't that bad unless you count being treated like a 3-year old even as a rated Captain in the Air Force. I went through Laughlin AFB and NAS Corpus Christi to eventually go on to fly MC and HC-130s. A couple of years later I got hired by a regional and did the traditional guard thing while splitting my time between the two. I wound up staying there longer than I wanted as this was part of the lost decade. I didn't have much PIC to speak of at the time so it probably wouldn't have mattered anyway. Eventually I got hired by a SFO based major at the beginning of the wave in 13 (timing is everything) and have been flying WB's most of my time here and I love it! So yes it definitely can be done. Persevere and try to have an open mind when presented with advice and pathways to further your career. Good luck in all of your endeavors.