View Single Post
Old 11-02-2022, 06:53 PM
shortspatula
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2022

Originally Posted by holygrail View Post
Hi, I’ve been absent from this game for many years and considering getting back into the airline game. I’ve got 23 years as a professional pilot but have flown corporate for the last 10. Needless to say I’m no longer a young hotshot with a wife and girlfriend on separate coasts. My kids are raised, my (only) wife is still with me and my cars are paid for. It’s obvious that this world has changed drastically since I left as there were no startups, DEC’S or committing stipends in my heyday. The DEC thing has peaked my interest both at Breeze and Avelo but I’m curious if I’d be the only gray haired captain on the property? Are most of you guys early/mid career? Just out of the regionals? Sounds like the daily grind is manageable at both but I’m curious what you all think?

I commuted to SLC WAY back when but I’m curious how a KPVU commute would work? There are very few flights there! With a PVU base, why is the training CTR in SLC?

is there actually a commuter stipend?

Is the 15~18 days off realistic?

How does holiday flying work?

Am I crazy to think that the DEC option is the best case for a guy to finish his career?

any positive advice is welcome.

As a DEC you’ll be on reserve with 12 off indefinitely with very little say on schedules. Unless you live in base you won’t have much of a life. You can commute for day trips but you’ll be home like 2 days a week. Not trying to be a downer, it’s just how it is. They’re working on ways to make it better for commuters.