View Single Post
Old 11-19-2022, 05:19 AM
187Breezy
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2018

Short answer- yes you are trading one set for another, but there are a lot of differences that will make one better than another. And those differences are entirely personal. I did 25 years in LE and got out with a pension, and I'm now a 50-ish regional FO and mostly loving it.

On the plus side of staying in law enforcement- while it might be a lousy job at times, it is a great career with unmatched stability, benefits and retirement. For all the stress that the job creates, one thing you rarely have to worry about is whether you'll have a job in six months. Airlines are not like that, not at all, and certainly not at the entry level that you'll be spending at least your first few years in. If you have 10 years to a full retirement, perhaps staying in and flying part time is an option. Of course the hiring environment in 10 years is far from certain, and many projections show the current hiring boom slowing down by then. So it's a gamble.

On the plus side of getting out and going for it now- while you will be physically away from home for longer stretches of time (trips are often 4 days with 3 days off in between, at least at the regionals) you will be mentally and emotionally present for your family so much more when you are home. Law enforcement corrodes your soul in ways that you certainly understand, and seeing things every day that no human should have to see will have an impact on your family life. I don't come home crabby, tired and emotionally exhausted from a trip like I did daily at the PD. And unlike in LE where many jobs are on call 24/7/365, when you are on your days off, you are completely off the clock with no obligations to the company, unless you choose to pick up some overtime flying, which is completely optional.

Good luck with this decision.