View Single Post
Old 11-19-2022, 05:54 AM
Web265
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2017
Position: ERJ-170

Sounds a little like me...
At about 10-12 years in I was offered a very good job in part 91. I couldn't draw a pension at that time though and wouldn't have gotten bennies. I decided it wasn't worth the uncertainty with a child.
Also, you mention you socked a lot away, but, having a toddler is expensive and finishing up those ratings is going to be VERY expensive, then there's the occasional financial "gotchas" on top of our current inflation outlook.

10 years ago when I retired from LE and went to flying full time, I'd say "go for it", I've moved up to the top 5 % in base already, but now? Too many question marks in regional land for my taste. I'd wait till you get the full pension, that gives you the freedom to explore away. Like someone else mentioned fly while working as LE and finish certs and look for some per diem or part time work to build hours/get experience.

Nobody has a crystal ball, it's all a matter of risk reward equations. In my mind, it was too important to guarantee solvency for the benefit of the kiddies.

Don't know what state you're in but they could only work us so much between our union contract and labor laws, (not for lack of trying though). Now if you truly hate police work (as opposed to the scheduling issues) get out. Nobody wants a miserable cop on the job, least of all the cop him/her self. That will spill to your relationship with your wife and child(ren). If it's culture and schedule that are the problem, perhaps look to another agency, everyone is having trouble recruiting.
Kind of went full circle there didn't I....
Best of Luck in your decision!

Originally Posted by fcknglideslope View Post
Don't know if this is the right place for this, but I appreciate the advice regardless:

33 yr old, married, 1 kid (infant). I've been a cop for 10 years now, recently promoted to a supervisor rank. I have 10 more years to retirement and a half pension, but the stress, constant overtime and tour flip flops has me looking for an out. I've been out on paternity leave for a few months trying to finish up my commercial/cfi and possibly make a career out of flying.

My #1 priority has always been family life, its part of the reason I hate police work, wish I knew then what I know now. Being told when you're leaving to go home that you're doing a double shift now, never making plans on days off because ordered overtime always seems to magically appear last minute, 9 hour shifts frequently turn into 12 hour shifts when something bad happens near the end. It gets tiring. Are there units where things like this don't happen? Sure. Is there an aviation unit in the department that could satisfy my lust for flying? Yes. Am I guaranteed either? Hell no, especially the aviation unit, you might as well be playing the lotto.

But anyway, the one thing holding me back from finally leaving is the time on the road aspect. I know it is basically unavoidable in an airline pilots career. But I feel like I may be overdoing it by assuming its all doom and gloom for the family. My wife is more than used to my horrible schedule, and does her best to work around it and not let it interfere with our lives too much. But for the most part I am home every night, and at least I am only a few miles away if I get stuck.

I am fairly well off since having socked away a lot during my servitude to the department. I still get a pension if I leave now, but it will be 1/4 of my pay and wont start paying out for another 10 years. Plus, I got my health bennies for life now having worked a decade, it locks it in. I have thought of just instructing as living, but from what I see my CFI do I don't know if that's viable for me for the long term. It would give me a lot of time home though, which is what I want.

What is your advice in my case? Am I trading one set of handcuffs for another?