View Single Post
Old 11-23-2022, 12:39 PM
Excargodog
Perennial Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by Hubcapped View Post
Let’s stay in target. My original dispute is with this guys statement. It’s just not true, and he/she/it are either a) no integrity liar, or b) mentally incapable of understanding the various forms of propaganda from both sides.

Cargo: you say the Netherlands are screwed either way so they should just keep going? You say that because China and India won’t play we should just throw in the towel?

With the utmost respect I call that cowardice. I don’t mean that you are a coward, you are clearly a good dude and a professional in your discussions, it just sounds like you’re quitting, and mama don’t like quitters.

It’s going to sting, gluttony always comes with a price, there is a middle ground.

I also find it ridiculous that somehow the concept of introducing massive amounts of chemicals into any eco system wouldn’t upset the balance of nature.
I’m not saying that the Netherlands is screwed either way, I’m saying that the Netherlands is fairly unique, largely artificial, and being held to arbitrary bureaucratic standards made in Belgium by bureaucrats interested in conformity, not common sense. And damn right they should keep going, unless you can come up with a less polluting way the EU can offset the loss of food production these restrictions have caused. Ever see a little kid with kwashiorkor?

Let me show you:

https://discover.hubpages.com/educat...Rehabilitation

or did I sat the Netherlands were screwed either way. They should explore REASONABLE ways that the NETHERLANDS can insure the health of their people. Not necessarily a one-size fits all solution from Brussels.

Nor did I say anything about “throwing in the towel” if the Indians and Chinese won’t play ball.” What I said was that if the Indians and Chinese won’t play ball than the current plan can only lose. That’s not defeatism, that’s math. We cannot eliminate enough admissions to offset what they are adding. We aren’t making that much to begin with. Explain why we should go down a course that cannot work? With utmost respect, I think pursuing a course of action that mathematically CANNOT meet the goal borders on the irrational.

Perhaps wide scale inherently safe modular nuclear power reactors would. Most of the few nuclear power reactors currently be used are 1950s technology. H€||, that’s older than the 737. 😉

As for gluttony coming with a price - see the pictures above. You don’t think that still happens today? You haven’t travelled where I travel.

https://www.worldvision.org/hunger-n...t-spots-hunger.

https://news.un.org/en/story/2022/07/1122032

Tell it to these people. And if you say that doesn’t matter because these kids are in Africa and a huge dent in the food production in the Netherlands will be no big deal in Africa you are either ignorant, uncaring, or a racist, and momma don’t like racists or uncaring people, although she’s more tolerant with ignorance.

As for massive amounts of chemicals, I don’t really know how much chemistry you’ve had in high school or college. We are basically talking a chemical standard for NH3 (Ammonia) present in every unflushed urinal you’ve ever seen and cow****. Yeah, there are other chemicals too, since rivers flow into the Netherlands from the heavily industrial areas of Germany as well as France, Belgium, etc..

For that matter, I suppose some of their cow**** does too. But keeping THOSE chemicals out will require source control, since water - yeah - flows downhill and the Netherlands are the ‘nether’ for the continent.

So if the EU really wants to help out on those chemicals, they can mandate source control. The Netherlands can’t turn off the Roer or the Rhine and even if they could, that would quickly lead to their own groundwater becoming salt water from seawater intrusion.

Now look, I don’t really think you are a bad guy (or a racist)and I don’t honestly know what your background is and how easy or difficult it is for you to follow this discussion, but I think you are taking a very superficial look at a highly complicated biological issue without understanding either the underpinnings of the problem or the costs of proposed solutions. The world isn’t as simple as most people think.