View Single Post
Old 12-01-2022, 08:06 AM
JohnBurke
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

I did not say that. Had I intended, I would have said that.

The SIC on the Ethiopian 737 Max flight, while deemed qualified by Ethiopian government and airline standards, would not be considered qualified anywhere else on the planet.

The PIC was an upgraded SIC. Take from that what you will. The results speak for themselves. If you want to dig a little deeper, you'll find that Ethiopian has an extremely high rate of mishaps and while African flying is not cruising main, the rate of incidents by Ethiopian operators is unacceptably high, and the results of the max incident, not all that surprising.

Temper that by the insight that personnel at Ethiopian, particularly native flyers are universally afraid to speak up due to the abuse and punishment on every level. Fatigue is common, with "dispensations" granted universally to operate beyond legality; legal duty times and rest requirements have no meaning.

A high percentage of expats who go there end up leaving within the first year, and most simply take leave and dont' go back, because resignation is punished.

It's not your uncle's airline.