View Single Post
Old 12-01-2022, 05:11 PM
QRH Bingo
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2021

Alrighty, this is going down a rabbit hole and I'm sorry. For clarification, I am speaking about the ATP certificate (and privileges), not my first type. The first type has not changed.
As Rickair7777 stated, the maneuver was not performed on the ATP ride itself so therefore, not included. And that makes sense.

Where this became a question and made me start asking around, is when two separate individuals I spoke to had different thoughts to this. One of them, who is an APD, believes that if the circling maneuver was already demonstrated on a previous type, it should count as demonstrated for the new ATP cert. The other instance is what I stated in the OP.

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
. . .You said you called Oklahoma City and spoke to a designated pilot examiner? Why, if you are calling the FAA, are you assigned a DPE, instead of an inspector? . . .
I called Airmen Certification and one of the options from the phone tree was "speak to a DPE" so that seemed like the logical selection to me.

At this point, I am just going to let the paperwork work its way through the system and see what comes on the permanent cert and I thank you all for your input.

Originally Posted by Myfingershurt View Post
How does one circle in non vmc conditions? Isn’t it a visual maneuver? I’ve never understood why this restriction is placed on a certificate as if you’d ever perform a circle approach in imc.
Splitting hairs here I guess since circling approaches usually have ceilings less than 1,000' and/or visibility requirements less than 3sm which would make it IFR conditions over the field. Therefore, not VFR weather. But yes, it is an instrument approach combined with a visual maneuver to a different runway.