View Single Post
Old 04-04-2008, 04:51 AM
Scoop
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: DAL 330

Originally Posted by capncrunch View Post
I have heard that there are a number of guys holding off from retiring waiting to see if the merger produces some sort of payday and once they find out they will be gone.
Capn,
I agree but think they may stick around a little longer if they like what they see- which does seem doubtful considering the news these days. I am sure most would retire without a merger but a merger changes everything. Think about it - its just natural to see what would change. Guys tired of commuting long distances will have new base opportunities, possible pay raises, changes to the DC portion of retirement and a possible equity payout. I know that I would at least stick around to check it out. The "shotgun wedding" scenario may or may not come with the above changes and so maybe most retirements might be closer to 60 in that type of merger. You would be surprised how at how many senior widebody Captains live for the job. I saw some senior DAL Captains risk close to a million $ (and eventually lose a lot of it) to keep flying. They have been doing this for decades and their identity is tied to being an airline pilot first and foremost. And this wasn't even "premium widebody flying."
Scoop