Old 04-04-2008, 02:59 PM
vagabond
Administrator

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: C-172

Duck, do not give up your day job. Definitely do not give it up to become a lawyer.

First of all, you are comparing apples and oranges. He committed a federal crime, while you are discussing the Texas DWI law (and hopefully not because of personal experience!!).

Second, the judge did order him to pay restitution so NWA is made whole again.

Third, the prosecutor was the one who recommended probation given the facts and circumstances presented to him. We don't know what they are precisely, but judges are not precluded from giving deference to recommendations from lawyers, unless they are outrageous. When I used to appear in hearings, judges would ask me all the time, "so Ms. vagabond, how should I rule?"

Fourth, do not discount the 500 hours of community service. It's not easy to get those kinds of hours. Think how long it took you to get 500 hours of flight time.

Fifth, the justice system worked like it should. The judge had a lot to do with it and that is one of the reasons I prefaced this post with a description of Judge Jones. And it wasn't solely because his brother is Quincy.