Old 12-26-2022, 09:36 AM
hopp
Ignoring; John Burke.

Joined APC: Jul 2022
Position: Wandering

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
I've never seen that (multiple airlines). The procedure has always been to correctly secure the *bad* engine and then leave the lever at idle. Pretty sure that on one or two planes I flew the engine cutout switch was actually past a detent below idle so the lever had to be all the way back anyhow.
After watching numerous left seaters struggle with engaging the Go Around switch on the back of the right thrust lever, on a single engine missed with the left engine shut down and thrust lever at idle, or the opposite from the right seat, I do not have a problem with allowing both thrust levers to be used together.

The 757 and 767 designs have this problem, and maybe 737 (not sure never flew it). Problem was remedied on the 777 with GA switch on front (top side).

There is no technical reason to leave the failed thrust lever at the idle stop., after the engine is secured. Some argue it can be confusing…maybe, but certainly less confusing that trying to figure out why the airlpane is not responding the increased thrust input from the wrong lever, as you stall or impact terrain.