View Single Post
Old 04-06-2008, 02:25 PM
TimSmith
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

Originally Posted by kman View Post
try 6-9 years for an upgrade, unless there are massive retirements or large a/c order. Looks like its about on par with some of the majors now. Where do u guys get 5 year upgrade from? How many true upgrades this year so far? 20 Maybe?If were lucky we will have 60 true upgrades this year. Upgrades will hit the decade mark soon unless things speed up. I truly hope things dont take that long but with almost 3 years at NJA it will be 5 years at best for me. Good luck.

As far as comparing NJ to DL, You didn't include Greenslip pay ( correct me if Im wrong ) at 200 percent and You will most likely break guarantee as a line holder. My average weekly duty in a 7 day period is 79 hours. We may only fly 19 hours in a tour, but just as much duty time is as a person flying a 90hr line at the airlines. And who cares if u fly 10 hours a tour? IF you have 5 days of 12hr hot standby at the airport ( Like I did last tour ) id rather be flying. Too many of us say we only fly X amount of hours a month. Why dont you guys state how many hours of duty we do in a month? And as far as guar . goes we work on average at least equivalent of a 80-85 hour line at the airlines, so you should include that when factoring in how much we make.

How many bbj s do we have? Anybody hired in the last 7 years will they ever even see the BBJ? At least at the airlines you could possibly be a widebody captain. How many of us will even see the falcon? Not many.

How many 777's, 767, 747 do the airlines have? And how do they staff the widebodys? Last I heard it was about 10.5 or more per plane. NJA staffs at what 6.5? Also guys at delta were getting hired directly into the 75 76 did you figure those numbers in?

Im ranting but it just seems like too many guys try to make it seem like its perfect over here. Let the beating begin.
Wow...you may be the first unhappy camper I have met here. I hear Mesa is hiring and you can make captain in 6-9 minutes. Seriously though, you may see upgrade at 9 years on an aircraft with an APU, but that is your decision. First available upgrade for a new hire this year will be around 5 years. Why? Our numbers for the past few years show roughly 70+ people leave a year. We are supposed to be taking delivery of 80 something NET increase of aircraft, but due to manufacturer's delays it is probably going to be 40 net increase. The main impediment to upgrades is the PIC merry go-round. Seat locks going to 39 months, this will slow down the merry go-round and open slots for true upgrades. So expansion plus attrition will add up to 180 upgrades needed per year. New hire today has about 1000 numbers ahead of him/her. The most restrictive bottleneck is the training slots and those will open up as the economy slows and the new seat lock takes effect.

Therefore, go have a beer and try to cheer up! Life IS good man!!!