View Single Post
Old 01-21-2023, 03:36 AM
TheCrimsonKing
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2021
Default Bonanza crash near HPN

https://abc7ny.com/plane-crash-pilot...unty/12720600/
I haven't seen anyone post about this yet. A Bonanza took off from JFK Thursday night and crashed about a mile north of HPN after trying to divert for engine trouble. The article just says he reported low oil to approach. A friend of mine who was listening on approach as it happened said that the pilot was somewhere over Greenwich when he first reported a rough running engine, and when they asked if he was declaring an emergency he said no. They then proceed to vector him to the North for the ILS 16, but he didn't get there in time. At some point I think he was at 6000 and they asked him to climb to 8000 and he said he was unable to climb. The article is sparse on facts, but what I've heard through the grapevine that maybe some of you could confirm, is that ceilings at JFK were 300. Sounds like maybe it was a recipe for induction icing, but I wasn't flying that night and don't know the conditions. I'm not going to speculate or armchair quarterback any of the pilot's decisions, just looking to see if anyone has any better insight into what conditions were like Thursday night. Article says he went off radar around 17:30 and that search and rescue didn't find the wreckage until around 23:00.