View Single Post
Old 01-26-2023, 08:35 AM
CX500T
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017
Position: NYC 7ERA

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
I wouldn't go back and change anything, I wasn't at all airline oriented when I joined the Navy, but in retrospect guard/USAFR would have been far more conducive to a flying career and ultimate airline seniority position.

I'm 90% sure the Navy did actually have reserve OTS pilots maybe as recently as the early 80's. But today's USNR really isn't in the wholesale business of providing operational force structure to the AC, they prefer (or more accurately AC prefers) that the reserves just provide staff augmentation.

The "Naval Reserve" name was changed to "USNR" about a decade ago... the AC did that because congress had earmarked certain funding and hardware for "Naval Reserve". When that ceased to exist, those resources largely defaulted to Big Navy.

This year the USNR is being re-focused from "operational support" to "strategic depth", which from my perspective will mean less involvement in current ops and more schools and local training, which will inevitably be a bit out of context with the real world. They're doing it for two reasons...

1. Bench strength for MCO (PAC AOR obviously).
2. So the AC doesn't have to deal with RC as much.

But in my experience, operational support allowed RC personnel (some but not all) to be well spooled-up to drop right into an MCO. At the HQ/MAJCOM staff level, which is where the majority of the RC is assigned anyway. Rant off.
They did Flight School to FTS / VR in the not too distant past (post 9/11) but I think that was a 1 or 2 year thing when they were trying to adjust manning.

I was told, at a reserve leadership function, with the then VCNO in attendance, that Big Navy, if they could get rid of the reserve and get another CSG they would. Apparently the reserves cost about what it would cost to build another carrier, air wing, and staff it all.

I was a squadron XO at the time, and basically figured here come the budget cuts and the MOBs right at min dwell, and I was right.