View Single Post
Old 05-21-2023, 05:51 AM
Bumper
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Default FAA order om deferred medical

Originally Posted by fatmike69 View Post
Let's say one applies for a medical at say, the beginning of the month, and also currently holds a valid medical. The AME then for some reason decides to defer the medical decision to the FAA (a deferral, not a denial). Is the medical currently held still valid until the end of the month, or does the deferral also automatically invalidate the currently held medical as well? I was thinking about this because if the current medical would still be valid, then it would be advantageous to get your medicals at the beginning of the month because if something came up, it would buy more time before you had to stop flying.....

Good question, I am going through same thing. I just got a second class in Jan which is all that my current jobs wants.I decided to get a first class last month. Medical was fine till the end and AME could not process the first class due to it being within 90 days of the last medical. AME said FAA would issue the medical in two weeks since there was nothing medically disqualifying. Well about a week later got a letter from FAA saying they want current report of eye evaluation and VA disability letters. I had current eye report at the medical and have previously disclosed my VA ratings. Technically you would think my second is still valid since my first was not denied. After many phone calls I reviewed the FAA order and it states "Operating with a known disqualifying medical condition or when application for medical certificate is deferred or denied/" I spoke with an aviation attorney and his advice was do not fly. I'm grounded from my current job. I am not risking it as the FAA could view it as any medical deferral. I researched FAA legal opinions as well and found nothing about the subject, if anyone has any info to share that would be great. Attached is two pages from the order.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2023-04-25 10-39.pdf (525.7 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Bumper; 05-21-2023 at 05:54 AM. Reason: spelling