View Single Post
Old 05-25-2023, 07:54 AM
Otterbox
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: Gear slinger

Originally Posted by SteamedHams View Post
Hey there APF,

Thanks for reading. I have always wanted to be a commercial pilot. In 2016 I was discharged from the military, and my DD-214 Member-4 release paperwork states I received an Uncharacterized Discharge, Separation Code JFY, Re-enlistment code RE3 (can re-enlist with waiver), Narrative Reason: Adjustment Disorder.

The explanation behind my discharge from Basic Training? I was going through the toughest part of my life I have experienced so far. I had just graduated from high school, my parent was slowly dying at home, I was stressed about not knowing what my life path should be, and the intensities experiences during Basic Training just exacerbated all of my anxieties about the aforementioned stressors. I indicated to another service member that I was not doing well emotionally, and was discharged after I expressed my mental health situation and disinterest in continuing to be in the military.

Since that low in my life, I have graduated from a University with a 3.8 GPA, been a Software Engineer for a year, and now I'm a Systems Engineer. I have accomplished a lot in my professional life since being discharged more than 5 years ago.

Assuming I am able to hold a first class medical and an ATP, will all of the legacy airlines turn me away when they see my DD-214? I'm really hoping I can make this my new career. That could be at a cargo carrier, or a major, or a regional...

Thanks for your help.
The trick will be any associated psych diagnosis or medications, and clearing those hurdles with the FAA for a class 1 medical. While I have not seen this specific discharge on an application the Wholly Owned regionals have taken multiple people with not Honorable Discharges. When I asked my peers in recruiting about it they said as long as it wasn’t an OTH or Dishonorable discharge, it wasn’t a big deal.