View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 06:37 AM
Albief15
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

Originally Posted by cma2407 View Post
Just curious...but any idea how much all this movement is going to cost?

For example: -10 Capt moves to -11 Capt, who if they play the excess game, on down, bumps junior Capt down to -11 FO. The jr. FO, if excessed, bumps a 727 Capt, who bumps to say, 727 or Airbus FO, who then boots another guy down to S/O.

That's 5 new, full length training slots--that result from one upgrade. Or approximately, 1 full year of paying 5 guys to sit in training. Rough estimate, but figure 3/4 of a million $ in salaries alone, training costs not included...without generating a dime in revenue.

Add training costs, and each upgrade, with the excess ripple effect could ultimately reach $1 million a pop. And not a box has moved.

Maybe I'm off here, but from what I see jotting this down with my crayons and pad of paper, one thing keep happening:

I always end up using the red one last...
If you overmanned and don't need the bodies anyway...it doesn't cost anything. The instructors already get paid, the professional IPs are already on staff, and we own our own sims. Other than the day to day operational costs of running the sim and classes, I dont' see this costing extra.

The cost has been incurred when you remove a line pilot and pay other folks extra to do that work, or have to hire someone to fill the slot he vacated. We apparently have enough bodies to move the freight, with some extras laying around. Those extras can go through training at very little additional cost.

If we really are shaping towards a force of 757s, A300s, 777s, and MD11s...then having a few extra 757 and MD11 guys around won't hurt as we get more 757s and the 777 in the future.

That is, at least...my translatin of the Cassel/Rosado letters and statements of the last 30 days. I may, of course, be 100% wrong.