View Single Post
Old 06-04-2006, 04:04 PM
Slice
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Spartan

Originally Posted by surreal1221
Okay quick question.

On the SWA page it states that they are hiring pilots w/o a 73 type rating, then states that the airline requires you to get the type rating within 6 months.

Is this standard practice for many LCC airlines?

I am under the impression that, if hired by a regional, that they will pay for your training and type rating in an RJ, etc. Now say I want to move to SWA and try to get picked up, but I don't have a 73 type rating. If the airline hires me, will they train me for it? (w/ pay. . .no PFT, I spit on PFT).

I guess this is kinda a general question that me, being a newb to all of this, will learn eventually. Just wondering if this is something that could also occur at say Air Tran or any other LCC?

I wouldn't call it PFT, because they don't care how you get the type...ie, if you flew mil or at another airline that gave you the type you haven't paid for anything. The requirement does suck if you didn't go that route. My thought is that they use it as a weed out tool to see who really wants to work there. I do know 4-5 guys that were given job offers before getting the type but they were all check airman types or the like. Latest word from RK is that they won't be calling anymore non-typed pilots in because they need people going into the pool to be ready to go.