View Single Post
Old 06-07-2006, 05:59 PM
Roll Inverted and Pull
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2005
Position: Retired 767 Captain

dojet...anything is possible, I suppose, but I doubt that was the case. The fire control system is a fairly complicated thing. I was at DaNang in `65 and `66 the only Marine F8 squadron (VMF 312) was there also. My job was to brief and debrief all of the missions that went out of that base, and I never heard anyone speak of any special bore sighting of the guns.Their were 4 of us that had that job 12 hours on and 12 off. Thats when I figured out that the airlines didn`t have that kind of schedule. I`ve fired the guns a lot. I loved strafing. We shot quite a bit down at the range near Yuma and fired down at Camp Pendelton, doing close air support with the ground FACS there. also fired at the sled that was sometimes reeled out behind the carrier. That was a hoot. Sitting on the fantail (the rear) of the carrier and watching, the first thing you saw was the smoke from the guns, then you saw the rounds hitting the sled(or the water), then you heard the sound of the rounds hitting the target, then lastly, you heard the gunfire from the plane. Not exactly what you would expect. The Crusader was equipped with Colt 20mm, they were fired electrically, ie. the firing pin set off a round, not by hitting the primer, but by hitting it with an electrical charge. The Colts were bad about jamming. Almost every firing session, at least one of the guns would jam. This was before the Gattling guns, although the F104 had a Gattling.