View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 02:46 PM
CloudSailor
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2006
Default Will FDX hire in '09?

Just trying to decide what to do guys...

I've been in the pool at FDX for about a year and a half now, and I will add, I feel extremely privileged to be in that position.

My wife and I have been through a few ups and downs while in the pool. They might hire me into ANC next month... no, they might hire me into CVG/HKG within a couple of months/when the bid closes/when the next bid closes... no, at least not for now.

Again, I repeat that I am absolutely thrilled to be in the FDX pool. Just want to make sure this does not come across as a complaint, because it isn't.

The thing is, with the economy still sliding, the dollar still sliding, FDX being overmanned by 200-300 pilots, the 727 being replaced by the 757... I wonder if poolies will actually have a chance in '09. The reason this is a concern to me is that the carrier I fly for just went into Ch11 and the end could be near...

I have an opportunity to fly for Emirates. The big, big downside to taking the job is that I would no longer fulfill the "5-year US residency" requirement FDX has for new-hires, and would therefore be out of the pool. So, after working so hard to get the FDX interview (like many of you did I'm sure) and finally getting it and being successful, it would really hurt to say good-bye to my number one pick, and long-time career goal. The upside to Emirates would be a significant growth plan that would provide me with the possibility of upgrading in a widebody within 3-4 years...

Even though I want to tough it out while I wait in the pool, I want to make the decision that's best for my family. I am happy to wait in the US in the FDX pool, but if my airline goes under, I would find it very competitive to get one of the few decent domestic flying jobs while I wait in the pool. Also, the Emirates/Cathay-like opportunities would also become a bit more competitive...

If you were patient enough to read the whole post, I appreciate it. Just seeking some advice from some of you out there who have been around for a while and have more experience than I do. I also would appreciate the perspective from someone seeing this from the outside.

With the current picture at FDX, what would you do?

Last edited by CloudSailor; 05-17-2008 at 03:00 PM.