Old 06-08-2006, 10:08 PM
MikeB525
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006

Originally Posted by aussieflyboy
i thank you for your advice, but if you had seen the australian and probably every other country in the world's aviation industries, youd be able to appreciate just how good things are in the industry over here in the U.S. comparatively speaking...

there's so much opportunity here it's amazing... i was back home in sydney australia last week, and i went to my old airport where i trained for my private several years ago, and the state of things there was just so different to here in the U.S.

airplanes are old and decrepid over there, people who instructed me years ago are still sitting around in cramped 152's and there are no jets ANYWHERE to be seen...

im teaching in florida and u just hafta go look at boca raton or tamiami or FXE to be knocked on ur butt at the wealth and opportunity that is around everywhere in this country...

on a side note, my degree is in the health sciences... not very similar to aviation at all

thanks for your good advice, but take my word for it when i tell you that americans are truly blessed when it comes to aviation.
Two things:

First, I had a feeling that was the case. Since I'm still in the training phase, I'm actively involved in General Aviation in the US. Some aviation magazines have made mention of how much more difficult personal aviation is outside the US. A friend of a friend out in Arizona, whose originally from England, said that EVERYTHING, especially airplanes, is dramatically more expensive in Europe. I've heard that Europeans have to pay as much as $9US/gallon for AvGas!!!! Plus rediculously high landing and air traffic contol fees. Airspace and regulation can be annoying too. And of course, this is in addition to the massive taxes that Europeans have to pay. As for flying is non-first world countries, fugettabotit!!!

Secondly, since you have a science degree I have the perfect fallback for you: Teaching! Specifically, high school science. There is a HUGE need in the US for high school science teachers. People I speak with that are in the know tell me that if you are a certified high school science teacher (any science), you'll get a job overnight. Heres what I recommend you do: Since you have more school to go, I recommend you take educational classes to fulfill your open elective. This could also improve your teaching skills as a CFI. IF you can, try to do your student teaching and actually get your certificate.

If you get laid off (and I say "if", because it may never happen to you), you can get that teaching job. And I hear teaching high school science pays pretty well, mainly because theres a demand for the position.

I'm working on a Meteorology degree, and this is my backup plan.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited by MikeB525; 06-08-2006 at 10:10 PM.