View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008, 06:50 AM
CloudSailor
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2006

I'm glad you posted these questions. I find myself flying for a great carrier that's in a bit of trouble. As your husband, I'm an A320 FO. Similarly to your husband, I'm in the hiring pool at FedEx. I went to the EK presentation here in Denver a couple of days ago. Your husband and you should try to make it to the Chicago presentation. You can ask questions directly. I am NOT at EK now, so I only will answer one of your questions that I heard the answer to on Tuesday.

Good luck with the decision. My wife will be reading your post. She is not fully on-board with the idea of Dubai, but then again, neither am I. We have never been there. We will wait to make the final decision after being there. The big difference between FedEx and UPS is that if I leave the US resident status, I would no longer be eligible for a job at FDX. Makes it that much tougher to decide.

Keep posting good questions.

Originally Posted by SKMarz View Post
I am writing this under my husband's screen name and have some questions about Emirates and some specific concerns about living in Dubai.

My husband currently has been working at a legacy carrier for the past 9 years and it is becoming increasingly apparent to us that it is a sinking ship. He has already been furloughed once and with the way things are going, it is only a question of when it will happen again. Other options in the US have become increasingly scarce. He is in the pool at UPS but it is very unclear when they will start hiring again and in any case, being in the pool is not exactly a job promise. So we have been actively trying to figure out what other options he has and have not ruled out moving overseas. It seems that Emirates and Cathay are the most viable.
I would agree. EK and CX are both great, stable, profitable, long-term carriers.

I have read posts on EK until my eyes are crossed and I'm sure some of my questions have been previously addressed. However, EK is having a road show in Chicago on Friday and he is considering attending so I wanted to pose some of my questions before hand. I realize opinions can be extremely varied but I really want to try to get a full picture of what working for this airline and living in Dubai means.

1. We have currently have a committment to a foster child which means that we could not move until some time in the middle of next year. Having said that, is it even worth attending the road show at this time? I don't expect he will be applying right now but would wait until the end of the year at the earliest (assuming he doesn't get furloughed first
With your husband's experience, he'll be able to secure an interview date. He can probably interview as late as September-October (some of the pilots in Denver got interviews that far out), and then on the application and at the time of the interview, he can ask for a maximum of 6-months notice for a class date. So, in theory, say he interviews in late Sept, gets the call 6 weeks later, which is early November, and gets a class date for 6 months later- May of '09. Should work out well. Would give him time to know what's going on with UPS too.

2. We are a blended family, our one year old is from Vietnam and our almost three year old is from China. Are blended families common in Dubai? How are they received?

3. We have a dog, do the villas permit pets?

4. From what I have read, if you take company accomodations, utilities are paid for, is it an allowance, or is it covered entirely?

5. When women go out, do they have to have their hair covered? What other specific issues do they face?

6. I'm respectful of other cultures but I am a former police officer and while I would like to think I am not obnoxious, I am also not a wall flower. How much trouble am I likely to get myself in?

7. We have previously lived in San Francisco, how might the cost of groceries compare? An average price of milk, cheese, etc.? Can you purchase items that you would typically eat in the States?

8. What is the current price of gas?

9. Are there any provisions for bringing over any personal belongings aside from clothing?

10. What is the average cost of cable, phone, cell phone?

11. How do most people stay in touch with their family? Skype?

12. If the price of oil continues its' stratospheric climb, how do you think it will impact EK?

13. My husband has spent time on the A320/A319 but is currently on the 757/767, if he were hired, which fleet would he be more likely to be assigned?

14. Our kids love playing outside but I grew up in Arizona and realize that during the hot season (which sounds like makes up most of the year in Dubai), outside play is not so feasible, what activities are available for young children?

15. I have ridden horses competitively my entire life, while I'm no longer interested in competing, I would like to continue to ride, are there any stables there or are the only four legged creatures dogs and cats?

16. How the three year bond dealt with? Do you have to front the money or is it a contract you sign?

17. I know the company website mentions discounted travel after a period of time, how long is that time, and what do the discounts look like?

18. Are people still only getting 30 of the 42 days off?

19. I have read deadheading gets 1/2 pay, are they still treating pay for bunkies the same way?

20. Are there any monthly, annual limits to how much pilots can be flown and, if so, how much? What if you get sick, is there any sick time? Do you get in trouble?

21. I have read there is a housing shortage, how long is the current wait for villas? Can you request one with four bedrooms vs. three or is just whatever they feel like? Can someone describe the villas in greater detail? Are they more like condos, townhouse or stand alone homes?

22. Our son had some medical issues when we first brought him home, he is doing well now but I'm concerned about the quality of health care available. Can anyone comment on how it compares to PPOs in the U.S.

23. Emirates website says "generously subsidized health care" for family members. What does that really mean?

Sorry for the laundry list but we are trying to do our best to think this through and be realistic.

Walking around our home, the thought that we might have to leave upsets me but not more than not being able to support our kids. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by CloudSailor; 05-22-2008 at 07:04 AM.