View Single Post
Old 05-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Carl Spackler
Back on TDY

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: 747-400 Captain

Originally Posted by alfaromeo View Post
NWABusDriver and Keenster, Northwest does not have a static fleet. They are losing 52 airplanes this year.
Please post your source on 52 airplanes. The number I've heard at management meetings is 18.

If you are going to look forward and count retirements, then you are going to look forward and count growth according to each airline's business plans.
Not only can you do that, an arbitrator WILL do that. No arbitration that I've ever seen paid attention to some "business plan" at all. Retirements are real and quantifiable, business plans are nonsense.

In the Nicolau award (US Air/Am West), the arbitrator said that all that forward looking crap for both sides was just that, crap. He took a snapshot and integrated the lists based on that snapshot.
That is correct

Where did all the DC-10's go?
They were replaced by nearly double the number of A-330's.

After a merger, Delta's superior growth plan will become community property and be shared.
Growth plan... I truly hope you're not really that naive.

I think the Northwest pilots should get used to the idea of a snapshot integration using some ratio method. That is what was used in the Airways arbitration and that will most likely be a guiding factor if we are forced to arbitration.
The last arbitration has no bearing whatsoever on what an arbitrator will do. Most mergers have been done by Date of Hire. NWA history is Date of Hire. Delta's history is mostly non-arbitrated ratios. This one could easily go either way. Given we are of similar size and similar fleets, history shows the most likely award will be date of hire with seat and base protections. That's not my opinion, that's history.

Any outside arbitrator will see that the contractual and fleet growth economic gains will outweigh your retirement issues.
Utter nonsense. You have no clue what ANY outside arbitrator will do. Nobody knows that.

Carl