View Single Post
Old 06-06-2008, 03:19 AM
FlyerJosh
Chief Jeppesen Updater

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Executive Transport Driver

In the corporate world, times vary across a HUGE expanse of requirements. Some departments are going to want you to have 18 type ratings, 20,000 hours, and a space shuttle type rating. Others are going to want simply an ATP rating.

A lot of the minimums for part 91 corporate jobs are set by insurance requirements. At my employer, we have no minimum hour requirement, however I would consider 3000TT, 2500ME with ATP and turbine time competitive, maybe even more with the slowing of the industry and the number of airline pilots who are looking to leave the 121 world.

What it really comes down to (and I'm sure you've heard it), is networking- the 95% of the jobs in the corporate world is all about who you know. The other 5% are "right place, right time" deals.

I know guys that landed turbine part 91 jobs with as little as 700TT and others that have been passed over (or not considered) for King Air jobs with more than 10,000TT and time in type.

Here are some things that will help you land a corporate gig:
  • Competitive times, when compared against other applicants.
  • Geographic Location. The closer that you are to the job, the better you are. Unlike the airlines, many corporate operators like to hire people from nearby, since it means more stability on the part of the job applicant.
  • Inside recommendations/knowledge. Just like the airlines, internal recommendations go a long way. In some cases, you might not even hear about an opening without some sort of contact from within.
  • Type rating/time in type. Some companies absolutely won't hire you unless you come to the game with time in type or with a current type rating. Others understand that the perfect candidate may not have such experience.
  • Business skills/business writing. Since you may be doing more than just showing up and flying, some companies may closely review your resume for additional experience that may separate you from the group. For some corporate jobs, I prefer to send a professional CV rather than a resume... you might choose to do so as well.
  • Customer service/interpersonal skills. Corporate flying is much more interaction than most 121 pilots will see on the line. I've known pilots to be reprimanded or fired for stocking the wrong type of soda, or not ensuring that napkins are crease-free. Many corporate interviews are less technical and more interpersonal. Some have indepth personality assessments. Others include social functions such as dinner. Be prepared to show that you know how to "behave" in a formal social environment.